Mani Retreat 2014
100 Million Mani Retreat in Mongolia
17 August – 18 September 2014 with blessings from
Lama Zopa Rinpoche
and organized by FPMT Mongolia
You are invited to participate in the 100 Million Mani Retreat to be held at Idgaa Choizinling Dratsang (College), Gandan Monastery, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
“I especially hope this retreat will also be established in Mongolia. After our temple in Mongolia (Idgaa Choizinling) has been built, I hope that thousands of people will attend Mani retreats there. Gradually too, I would like this retreat to be established in other parts of the West…….”
Lama Zopa Rinpoche /FPMT.org/
Join the Mani Retreat
Breaking News: We are very pleased to announce that Lama Zopa Rinpoche will teach at the Mani Retreat from 27th August to 1st September
and now extend an invitation to everyone to participate on this great occasion of the 100 Million Mani Retreat in Mongolia. You are most welcome to attend for whatever time you have available.
If you are not able to attend in person, it will be possible to participate from your home – more details on how to do this will be provided in due course.
Also, one can join in accumulating extensive merits by making offerings for the success of this event, supporting the revival of a heart practice of the Mongolian people and enabling Sangha and others to attend. Your names and dedications will be included in the retreat. This is a unique opportunity to make offerings on this most auspicious occasion and to create the cause for prosperity by practicing generosity..
The Mani Retreat Tradition in Mongolia
The Great Zanabazar, was the first Jebtsundamba Khutuktu and spiritual head of Buddhism in Outer Mongolia. His name ‘Zanabazar’ is the Mongolian rendition of the Sanskrit ‘Jnana-vajra’ meaning thunderbolt (vajra) of wisdom (jnana). He was recognized as the reincarnation of Taranatha (1575-1634), a Lama of the Jonang school of Tibetan Buddhism and is widely considered a most remarkable scholar and exponent.
Zanabazar has been called the “Michelangelo of Asia” for bringing to the region a renaissance in matters related to spirituality (including theology), language, art, medicine, and astronomy. He composed sacred music, mastered the sacred arts of bronze casting and painting and wrote a very important manual on the method of the Mani Retreat which is still used in Mongolia today.
The 100 Million Mani Retreat practice began in Mongolia around the middle of the 15th C and continued until the 1930s when the Communist takeover occurred.
Throughout the centuries of this practice in Mongolia, different tunes from each Province (aimag) were developed for the Mani recitation and became very popular. It was common practice, to recite 4 line verses containing essential points of the Buddha’s teachings, interspersed with Mani recitation.
During a Vajrasattva Retreat in California in 1999, Lama Zopa Rinpoche expressed … “since there is a lot of interest in retreat, I was also thinking to organize the recitation of one hundred million OM MANI PADME HUMS once every year in Mongolia. People could gather together and recite the mantras in a retreat.
I am hoping to establish similar annual group retreats in perhaps ten different countries. It is a very common practice in Tibet, Nepal, India and Ladakh. By doing such a retreat, many people will be liberated, saved from the lower realms.”
Within FPMT and in the West, the first retreat was organized at Chenrezig Institute, Australia, in 2000 and has been held there each year since. The second country was France in 2009 and now, Mongolia will be the third.
The Benefits of Mani Retreat & Recitation of Mantra
- All the Buddha’s teachings are said to be contained in this 6 syllable mantra – OM MANI PADME HUM. The qualities of the ‘mani’ are praised again and again in the sutra and tantra teachings.
- Whether happy or sad, take the ‘mani’ as our refuge; Chenrezig, (Buddha of Compassion) will never forsake us, spontaneous devotion will arise in our mind and great loving kindness and compassion will be realized effortlessly.
- Recitation of OM MANI PADME HUM is one way to actualize bodhichitta – the mind wishing to gain enlightenment for the benefit of all sentient beings;
- Blesses the country where it is held and brings so much peace, happiness and prosperity to the land;
- Being in a place where there are many in a city doing the practice, inspires one to practice Dharma – the path of truth and virtue;
- One will always be reborn in virtuous places where there is much Dharma practice together with many holy objects, statues and stupas.
- One will experience freedom from rebirth in the lower realms; always receive a perfect human body, be able to meet with virtuous friends and have wealth, the means of living;
- Provides powerful purification and one can overcome feelings of guilt;
- One can accumulate extensive merits, receive protection from non-humans, vicious animals, diseases, dangers and harm from humans;
- If one recites this mantra one thousand times per day, then one’s children for up to 7 generations will not be reborn in the lower realms;
- When one who recites 10 malas a day goes swimming, whether in a river, ocean or some other body of water, the water that touches that person’s body gets blessed and this water then purifies billions of sentient beings dwelling in the water;
- When such a person walks down a road and the wind touches his or her body and then goes on to touch insects, their negative karma gets purified and it causes them to have a good rebirth;
- Similarly, when such a person does massage or otherwise touches others’ bodies, shakes hands or strokes an animal, their negative karma gets purified;
- Even such a person’s breath touching the bodies of other sentient beings purifies their negative karma; anybody who drinks the water in which such a person has swam gets purified;
- Such a person becomes meaningful to behold; being seen and touched becomes a means of liberating other sentient beings;
Prices and Payment
Attendance at this year’s 100 Million Mani Retreat is by donation.
As we do not have any onsite accommodation at the venue, participants are required to make their own arrangements.
Will be provided to Mani Retreat participants prior to the commencement of the retreat.
In anticipation of your attendance or donation, we thank you for helping us to provide this unique event to fulfil Lama Zopa Rinpoche’s wish to host the 100 Million Mani Retreat annually in Mongolia and to bring immeasurable benefit to others.
Everybody, whether in person or from afar, is welcome to create merit through the practice of generosity and your name(s) will be included in the dedications.
Creating merit through generosity:
- Airfare for Lama Zopa Rinpoche
- Food Offerings to Lama Zopa Rinpoche
- Sponsoring sweet rice, bread and tea for participants
- Sponsorship of food for Sangha
- Sponsorship of lunch for participants
To make an offering please go to our Mani Retreat Offering Donate page
If you have any question, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org